Monday, July 26, 2010

Sweet Pickle Relish Success


I made sweet pickle relish for the first time ever yesterday. It really wasn't hard, the 4 hour salt bath was the hardest thing to endure, as I like to keep busy. But I filled the bowl with ice cubes and covered with water and stirred it every half hour to keep it evenly cold. Then strained the water out of the veggie/salt soak, added to cooking ingredients and simmered, then packed in jars and water bathed for 15 minutes.



Ten 8 oz. jars of delicious sweet pickle relish now lines the shelves of my home canned items.
My cyber friend also posted a couple other recipes she uses. A Dill relish, and a Zucchini Pineapple recipe. I am going to try the zucchini pineapple one first, for I am getting a lot of zucchini right now. Since the family likes pineapple holiday baking items, I am going to use the Zucchini pineapple in them and see if they even know the difference.
Now for the weather to bring us a day for an outside Hot Dog roast to really get the taste of the relish a test. Nothing like roasting outside over an open fire and then loading the hot dog with all the favorite condiments of ones choice. The days of fall are coming, and til then, I am going to try out the relish in some salad recipes. The flavor of the relish is so yummy right out of the pan, it should do really well enhancing the flavor of other things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In my Attic

What you are about to read is things from my life in the real world as well as thoughts from my attic.
Attic: Storage space at the top of my head.
Some things will be just off the top of my head too. Beware, no view warnings will appear on posts. Enter my blog at your own risk.
PS - I BELEIVE IN GOD